Winter is not over yet, so warm nourishing soups are still viable. Here is a twist on tortilla soup, with tomatillo sauce added for a little variation and spice. The soup almost demands Taft Street Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc, for its forward fruit and brisk acidity.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 24oz jar tomatillo sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast, cubed
- Vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Lime, avocado, sour cream and cilantro for garnish
- Cook onion and pepper in oil until soft, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper; and cook until well mixed (2 minutes).
- Stir in tomatillo sauce and chicken stock and bring to boil. Add chicken, reduce to simmer, and cook 20 minutes.
- While chicken cooks heat ½ inch vegetable oil in skillet until hot. Fry tortilla strips in batches until golden, about 3 minutes. Put on pepper towel and salt.
- Ladle into bowls, top with desired garnishes, and serve.
Serves 4 – 6