This is a good recipe to have in your Holiday collection. It can be done ahead of time, and can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 3 10oz packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ cup cream
- 2 pounds (2 whole) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Squeeze spinach, coarsely chop and put in bowl.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in pan and cook garlic and onion, 5 minutes. Stir into spinach with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cream.
- Cut squash into 1/8 inch thick slices. (A mandolin or microwaving the squash briefly can be of help here.)
- Layer the squash and spinach in baking dish, starting and ending with the squash. Sprinkle cheese over top layer and dot with remaining butter.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Remove cover and continue until brown and bubbly, another 10-15 minutes.
Enjoy as part of a feast with an appropriate Taft Street wine!