Some great photos from the 2012 Sonoma County Harvest Fair Judges Dinner, hosted by Taft Street Winery. A special thanks to all the judges for their time with this year’s competition.
Taft Street Winery is very happy to announce the addition of Paul Young to the Taft Street family. He comes to Taft Street with 23 years of experience as Director of Sales and Marketing for Heck Estates and Kenwood Vineyards.
“Paul is a true professional who understands the needs of distributors and the demands of brand management,” said Mike Tierney, President of Taft Street Winery. “Taft Street is fortunate to have just celebrated its thirty years in the wine business with the same core group that started in the garage. With the addition of Paul to the team that includes winemaker Evelyn White, we are very excited for the continued success in this industry.”
Judged by renowned wine critics and sommeliers from throughout the country, the Sonoma County’s Harvest Fair is one of the most exciting and prestigious California wine competitions. With over 1,000 of the County’s finest wines submitted, we are truly excited to be recognized as one of the best!
We’ll be pouring this award winner at the Harvest Fair Wine Pavilion on October 5, 6 & 7. Be sure to get your tickets early and stop by our booth for a memorable Taft Street experience.
Can’t make it to the event? We are pre-releasing the 2011 vintage to our friends and family during the coming holidays.
Be the first to order this Double Gold Medal winner today!
The awards from the 2012 California State Fair are in. Our 2011 Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc scored 95 points and was awarded a gold medal and best of class. Four other wines took home some awards!
Well-known wine critic James Suckling has just released his exhaustive tasting report on Sonoma County Pinot Noirs (over 200 wines).
Taft Street was awarded 91 points for its 2008 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. Sucking noted “interesting aromas of dried herbs with rose petal and strawberries. Full body, with silky tannins and a lightly toasted oak combination.” Taft Street’s 2009 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir garnered 90 points. Suckling described the wine as “a fresh and bright style of Pinot Noir with delicate raspberry and strawberry character. Clean and almost minerally with a blue slate undertone. Very drinkable.”
The report clearly showed Taft Street to be in the very top rung of Pinot Noir producers in this storied appellation. For a full listing of wine reviews and scores go to www.jamessuckling.com.
Classic Pinot Noir. New for 2012.
We are very excited to share this wine with our family and friends.
This wine is a homage to the “garagistes” tradition of crafting small lots of outstanding fruit in other than a chateaux environment – in our case our experience in the 1970’s as winemakers in the Taft Street garage.
The wine’s deep red/purple color accompanies distinct varietal notes of blackberry and cherry. Balanced acidity and intriguing oak undertones are parlayed into an elegant finish.
[button color=”colored” link=”https://www.taftstreetwinery.com/xe/xe.asp?page=viewitem&p=08PN06&cat=reds” target=””]Wine Info[/button]
- Gold – 2010 Sonoma County Rose of Pinot Noir
- Gold – 2009 Russian River Valley Riesling
- Silver – 2008 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Silver – 2008 Russian River Valley Garagistes Chardonnay
- Silver – 2008 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
- Bronze – 2009 Russian River Valley Chardonnay
- Bronze – 2008 Russian River Valley Cobblestone Vineyard Zinfandel
- Bronze – 2009 Alexander Valley Merlot
Our 2010 Russian River Valley Pinot Gris was a 2011 Gold Medal Winner!
Nine other wines were also awarded:
- 2008 Russian River Valley Chardonnay Garagistes
- 2009 Russian River Valley Riesling
- 2010 Sonoma County Rose of Pinot Noir
- 2008 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
- 2009 Russian River Valley Chardonnay
- 2008 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2008 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir Garagistes
- 2009 Alexander Valley Merlot
- 2008 Russian River Valley Zinfandel
More awards for Taft Street! At the Orange County Fair Wine Competition, Taft Street was awarded one gold medal, two silvers, and three bronze medals!
- Gold Medal – 2010 Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- Silver Medal – 2008 Garagistes Chardonnay
- Silver Medal – 2010 Sonoma County Rose of Pinot Noir
- Bronze Medal – 2010 Russian River Valley Pinot Gris
- Bronze Medal – 2007 Mendocino Ridge Garagistes Pinot Noir
- Bronze Medal – 2008 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
Another great showing at the California State Fair! Our 2007 Garagistes Pinot Noir was awarded 98pts, Double Gold, Best of Region – Red North Coast Appellations, and Best of Class – North Coast Appellations! A few other Taft Street wines also took home some hardware:
- Gold Medal, 94pts – 2008 Garagistes Chardonnay
- Silver Medal – 2008 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Silver Medal – 2009 Russian River Chardonnay
- Silver Medal – 2010 Russian River Valley Pinot Gris
The California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition is the oldest and most prestigious wine competition in North America. The competition is open to all California bonded wineries selling retail and each year, thousands of California wines are entered into the competition for the chance to win one of many coveted awards from the State Fair’s panel of expert wine judges.
We welcome visitors to our tasting room. Open Monday through Friday from 11 AM to 4 PM daily. Open weekends 11 AM to 4:30 PM.
No need for appointments with groups under six.
The $10/person tasting fee is waived with purchase. Tastings are complimentary for President Club members.
State of the Street
2030 Barlow Lane
Sebastopol, CA 95472
Email: [email protected]
WARNING: Drinking distilled spirits, beer, coolers, wine and other alcoholic beverages may increase cancer risk, and, during pregnancy, can cause birth defects. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/alcohol.