Last week in our picnic grove we hosted a tasting/ luncheon for our new NorCal sales team. Pulled pork tacos with a tomatillo/avocado sauce was the headliner. Over the weekend I used the sauce again; one time over scrambled eggs, and again as the base for a salad dressing. It’s a handy thing to have in a squeeze bottle in the fridge – and it goes quite well with Taft Street’s Sauvignon Blanc and Rose of Pinot Noir.
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and halved
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and seeded
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375. Place tomatillos, onion. Garlic and peppers in a greased pan and cook 25 minutes or so, until lightly charred. Remove from oven and cool.
- Combine all ingredients (peel the cooked garlic) in a blender and pulse until finely mixed.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve as a salsa and more.