This month we at Taft Street will release our first single vineyard Merlot – the 2018 Los Amigos Vineyard, Chalk Hill, Russian River Valley. We had a staff tasting a few weeks ago to get any final pre-release reactions to the wine. Above the usual and expected ooh’s and aah’s was the recognition that the wine was a natural fit with grilled steak. I volunteered to test that theory, and I am happy I did. Try this, you can’t go wrong.
- 4 10-12 ounce steaks of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Take steaks out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking and let sit covered at room temperature.
- Set grill to high. Brush steaks with olive oil and liberally sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill 4 minutes, flip and grill 3 minutes, flip for another minute to achieve cross sear. Internal temperature should be 125 for medium rare.
- Take off grill and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Serve with favorite side dishes and a bottle of Taft Street 2018 Los Amigos Vineyard, Chalk Hill, Russian River Valley Merlot.