August starts serious tomato season in Sonoma County. Early Girls and a variety of heirlooms are now available for BLT’s and endless other treats. Here’s a versatile salad; try it with a chilled glass of Taft Street Russian River Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped olives
- 4 – 5 medium tomatoes
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 12 basil leaves
- Place shallot in bowl with garlic, salt, pepper and vinegar. Let soak for 10 minutes, then stir in olive oil, anchovy and olives.
- Slice tomatoes and arrange on platter. Season. Dress cherry tomatoes with vinaigrette, then spoon cherry tomatoes and vinaigrette over tomato slices.
- Garish with basil leaves. Serve at cool room temperature.