With the hot days of harvest upon us, it’s time to plan a few meals that provide ease, can be (partially) made ahead, and are literally cool. Here’s an old standby.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 pound fresh egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Cook pasta to al dente in a big pot of salted water (be careful not to overcook). Drain and rinse with cold water. Chill.
- Peel cucumber, slice lengthwise, and deseed with a spoon. Thinly slice.
- Whisk together sesame oil, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar and pepper in a bowl. Stir in cucumber.
- When ready to serve, add chicken and sauce to noodles and mix thoroughly. Garnish with scallions and serve.
Serves 4 with a bottle of Taft Street Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc