Tomatoes are still in season and warm weather will be with us for the next month or so. A good way to enhance any occasion is to serve this refreshing “shooter.” We served this recently and it was a crowd pleaser.
- 1 pound scallops
- ¼ red onion, minced
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 basil leaves, torn into bits
- For ceviche, mix top 5 ingredients in bowl and let sit for 4-5 house. Scallops will become opaque as they “cook” in the lime juice.
- For tomato soup, place next 4 ingredients in a blender and puree. Then run the soup through a food mill to extract seeds and skins. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- In small cups place a tablespoon of ceviche and cover with 2 ounces of cold soup. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
Makes 12 shooters