It is October 1st and all the grapes have been crushed – the earliest harvest we remember. Our numbers were down a bit (10% – 15%), but the lack of volume was compensated by the quality of the grapes. Winemaker Evelyn White was delighted with the chardonnay and pinot noir especially; each being fully mature, free from rot, and each possessing multi-layered flavors. We are looking forward to seeing the progress these wines make in the months ahead.
This weekend is the annual Sonoma County Harvest Fair, and once again Taft Street was a winner. We entered 10 wines in the competition, and each won a medal:
- 2013 Russian River Valley Syrah
- 2014 Russian River Valley Chardonnay
- 2014 Russian River Valley Chardonnay Garagistes
- 2014 Russian River Valley Pinot Gris
- 2014 Russian River Valley Rose of Pinot Noir
- 2013 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
- 2014 Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- 2013 Sonoma County Medallion (Bordeaux blend)
- 2013 Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2013 Alexander Valley Merlot
The Harvest Fair Tasting takes place this weekend, October 2-4th, at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds.
October is always a busy month for us. Besides the Fair and the harvest, we celebrate the end of the season with parties for our President’s Club and friends of the winery. We’ll be taking part in tastings in the Lake Tahoe area, I’ll be in the Boston market for a week, and Jake will visit Louisiana. Just to keep us all hopping, we have appointed the Henry Wine Group as our California distributor. The Henry Wine Group is an established and well-respected player in the California marketplace, and all indications point to a long and beneficial partnership.
October is perhaps the finest month in Sonoma. The days are still warm, the big crowds have thinned down a bit, and the excitement of the harvest is still in the air. Kaitlyn and her staff are ready to make you visit a memorable one –relaxed, tasty and fun. Come join us.
President, Taft Street Winery