With the days getting cooler and shorter it is time to turn to more hearty fare. One of my favorites is chowder, in almost any variation. This month I’ve picked seafood as starting point; feel free to add /substitute your own favorites as desired.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup corm
- 5 cups broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 12 ounces halibut, cubed
- 12 large shrimp, peeled 1 6.5 ounce tin of clams
- 2 cups cream
- Parsley for garnish
- Cook onion in butter. Add flour and seasonings and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add potato, corn, celery, broth and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in seafood and cream and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
I would pair this with some good bread and Taft Street Russian River Valley Chardonnay.