I am currently emptying my freezer as I prepare for my annual fishing trip to Alaska. I am stuck with the enviable predicament of having too much salmon. Here is an easy and delicious way to solve that problem.
- 1 teaspoon pepper, roughly cracked
- 1 cup dill, chopped
- 3 ounces coarse sea salt
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 pound salmon filet, skin on and pin bones removed
- 1 cup yoghurt/sour cream mix
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Lemon wedges
- In a bowl mix pepper, dill salt and sugar.
- Place a large sheet of cling wrap on counter and pour half the mixture in the center in shape of the salmon filet.
- Place salmon skin side down on top of the mixture and top the salmon with the remaining mix. Wrap the salmon securely and place on dish.
- Top salmon with another plate and place weights on plate (eg 2 x 14 oz tins).
- Refrigerate 12 hours, flip salmon and refrigerate 12 more hours. Rinse, pat dry and refrigerate 3 – 4 hours.
- Serve on toasts with mustard sauce and lemon wedges.
This will serve 8 – 10 as an appetizer and goes especially well with Taft Street Russian River Valley Pinot Noir.