Dal, or spiced lentils, is a treat on a winter’s evening, either by itself or as a part of a multi course meal. An added attraction is it is easy to prepare.
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- I medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, pee
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in large pan and saute inion until soft. Add sweet potato and cook for a couple of minutes. Add ginger and garlic, stir and continue to cook on low heat.
- Add chili, lentils and garam masala to pan and stir until lentils are well coated. Add tomatoes and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until lentils are tender (30 minutes).
- Season to taste, stir, and cook until thickened (10 minutes). Serve in bowls with chopped cilantro as a garnish.
We find this goes particularly well with our 2016 Sonoma County Merlot, although any Taft Street wine is appropriate.