Don’t believe the fake news that asparagus does not go well with wine. Everything (almost) goes well with wine; you just have to get the right combination. Here is a way to enjoy the springtime freshness of both asparagus and our new 2016 Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc.
- 8 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 garlic, minced
- ½ cup Taft Street Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat stock in pot, keep hot.
- Heat oil in skillet and cook onion until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and garlic and stir until rice turns opaque. Add wine. Add stock in ½ cup portions, stirring until absorbed. Continue adding stock for 10-12 minutes; then add asparagus and stir and add stock until less than a cup remains (25 minutes total).
- Stir in last of the stock with cheese. Taste and season as needed. Risotto should be creamy. Serve at once in shallow soup bowls.