I have just returned from Barcelona and Dubrovnik and was delighted with the terrific shellfish and accompanying wines. Perhaps my favorite dish was the simplest – grilled whole squid with a lemon/garlic/cilantro sauce. Quick and easy, and oh so good with a glass of chilled Rose or Sauvignon Blanc.
- 4 squid about 8-10 ounces each, cleaned
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Pinch sea salt
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic, minced
- ½ handful of chopped cilantro
1. Lightly score sides of prepared squid. Mix lemon zest, salt oil, garlic; and rub into squid. Refrigerate 2 hours.
2. Heat grill until hot. Take squid from marinade and grill for about 2 minutes, until nicely charred.
3. Place grilled squid on plate, and serve with a sprinkle of seal salt, lemon juice, and chopped cilantro.
4. A salad and baguette (and Taft Street wine of course) round out a very satisfying meal.