With spring our chickens are beginning to lay in earnest, and there are few things better than farm fresh eggs. Most farmers markets sell them these days, so try to use the freshest possible eggs.
- Butter to grease soufflé dish
- 2 tablespoons grates parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Large egg yolks
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese
- 5 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream-of-tartar
- Preheat oven to 375. With butter grease an 8-inch soufflé dish. Add grated parmesan and roll to cover the sides and bottom. Freeze for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small pan. In a separate bowl combine flour and salt. Whisk in buteter and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk and bring to just below boiling. Remove from heat.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks until creamy. Temper yolks into milk mixture. Remove from heat and add cheese and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer whip egg whites and cream-of-tartar until glossy and firm. Folk into the mixture, ¼ at a time.
- Pour mixture into soufflé dish, place on pie tin, and bake for 35 minutes.
Serves 4-6. Try this for brunch with a glass of Taft Street Russian River Valley Pinot Gris. YUM!