Fall is upon us, and heartier dishes with red wine fit the bill. Here’s a festive vegetarian dish that works with a number of red wines – I particularly like the 2009 Dry Creek Syrah.
2009 Dry Creek Syrah.
- 12 ounce puff pastry
- 3 head garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- In a fluted tart pan roll out puff pastry to line bottom and sides. Put waxed paper on bottom with weights, put in fridge for 30 minutes, then blind bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove weights and bake 10 more minutes.
- Put garlic in pan cover with water and blanch for 4 minutes. Drain. Fry garlic in oil for 2 minutes, add balsamic and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sugar, thyme and salt and cook until liquid has evaporated (10 minutes).
- Break cheese into pieces and scatter in tart shell. Spoon garlic and syrup over cheese. Whisk egg, cream, salt and pepper and pour over tart.
- Reduce oven to 325 and cook for 40 minutes when the tart has set. Cool.
Serve with green salad and Taft Street 2009 Dry Creek Valley Syrah. Enjoy!