With St. Patrick’s Day approaching Irish cuisine is in the air. Colcannon goes well with corned beef. Traditionally it is made with cabbage, but I like Tuscan Kale for the color contrast. Any cabbage, chard or kale will work.
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- I pound medium potatoes (Yukon Gold)
- 2 leeks
- 1 cup milk
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup melted butter
- Blanch kale in boiling water for 1 minute. Set aside. Boil potatoes until soft. Remove and drain. When cool enough to handle, skin.
- Chop leeks and simmer in milk until soft.
- Season potatoes and mash. Stir in milk and leeks and kale. Add melted butter and mix well. Serve.
We plan to serve this with corned beef and a bottle of Taft Street 2008 Alexander Valley Merlot. Can’t wait!