We served these at a winery party recently and they were a big hit. Most of the work can be done well ahead of time, and assembly is quick and easy.
Pulled Pork Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 pounds pork butt or shoulder, trimmed, and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup stock
- 1 onion diced
- Combine first four ingredients for rub. Add pork and coat well. Refrigerate overnight.
- Brown pork in olive oil and set aside. Add stock, honey and vinegar, scraping the pan’s bottom to incorporate flavors. Add onion and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to simmer, add pork and cook until tender – about an hour and a half.
- Let cool, then shred by hand.
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 medium cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- Combine vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard and celery seeds in a medium saucepan. Stir and bring to boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine cabbage, onion and carrots in a bowl. Add dressing, toss. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Split a dozen Kaiser rolls and brown briefly in broiler. Place 2 heaping tablespoons slaw on bottom half and cover with 2 heaping tablespoons pulled pork. Wrap in large paper napkin and serve.
Serves 12 and is terrific with just about any Taft Street wine.