(in Ireland it’s called cake) As St Patrick’s Day approaches it’s time to create appropriate wine and food pairings. There is hardly a better match than wine and bread, a winning combo for thousands of years!
- 1 pound whole wheat flour
- 1 pound white unbleached flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint buttermilk
- Sieve flours, soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a hole in the center, pour in buttermilk, and mix to form a dough.
- Form into one round. With a sharp knife make an X across the top about an inch thick.
- Cook in a 425 oven for 25 minutes; turn over and cook 5 minutes more.
- Cool on a rack.
This goes especially well with our new 2008 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (you can add a wee bit of corned beef and cabbage).