Here’s a green take on lasagna/enchiladas; with tomatillos and cilantro playing major roles. It’s a good dish to serve on those warm September nights.
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 12 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups green onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cilantro, chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 six inch corn tortillas
- 4 cups cooked chicken meat, roughly chopped
- 1 pound queso blanco, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 425F. Mix tomatillos, broth, garlic, cumin in saucepan. Cover, bring to boil, lower heat and cook about 10 minutes. Put in food processor, add cilantro, onions, chiles and coarsely puree.
- Overlap 6 tortillas in a 13 X 9 baking dish. Top with half chicken, queso blanco and half tomatillo sauce. Repeat. Pour ½ and ½ on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes.