We will be serving this for Winter Wineland. Come on by for a taste.
- 1 1 pint shucked clams (or 2×6.5 ounce cans minced clams)
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- salt and pepper
- Drain clams; reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to measure 2 cups. Set aside.
- In a saucepan crisp bacon; dice and set aside. Add reserved liquid, potatoes, onion and celery to fat in saucepan. Cook about 15 minutes.
- Stir in clams, 2 cups of milk and cream. Stir remaining 1/2 cup of milk into flour; stir into chowder.
- Cook 2 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, saffron, salt and pepper. Sprinkle bacon on top.
Try this with 2007 Russian River Valley Chardonnay Garagistes or 2006 Mendicino Ridge Pinot Noir Garagistes. You’ll be glad you did!