Summer means casual, and falafels fit the bill. There is no need to buy pre-mixed ingredients when everything you need is readily available. A couple of falafels in pita bread washed down with a glass of Taft Street Sauvignon Blanc or Rose of Pinot Noir is casual living at its finest.
- 2 14 ounce cans chickpeas
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ cup coriander, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup flour
- Combine chickpeas, scallions, garlic, cumin, coriander, cilantro egg and lemon juice in food processor and mix to a medium consistency. Add half the flour and just combine. Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Put enough oil in saute pan to reach ½ inch up the side and heat to 365 degrees.
- Drop spoonfuls of falafel mix into remaining flour and roll into balls. Drop into oil and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat pita bread, insert a couple of falafels and top with yogurt sauce.