This simple recipe combines pan frying and oven roasting. The result is a tasty centerpiece for a winter meal. The dish goes well with polenta and Taft Street 2013 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir.
- 2 ½ pound tri tip of beef
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup Taft Street Pinot Noir
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Blend all ingredients (except beef). Put mixture and beef into a gallon plastic bag and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375. Drain beef and set aside. Put marinade in small pan.
- Heat cast iron fry pan. When quite hot, sear the tri tip until a nice crust appears (4 – 6 minutes). Place pan and meat in oven and cook until meat thermometer reads 120 (20 – 25 minutes).
- In meantime boil down marinade to measure 1 cup.
- Take meat from oven and let it rest for 12 – 15 minutes. This is crucial for tender meat.
- Slice against grain, sprinkle with several tablespoons reduced marinade, and serve with polenta and Taft Street Pinot Noir.