With summer in full swing tomatoes are at their peak. Here is a twist on traditional pesto, adding tomatoes and almonds.
- 10 ripe Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup blanched and toasted almonds
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Peel, seed, and roughly chop tomatoes.
- In a food processor combine garlic, basil, a touch of salt, almonds, and a bit of olive oil until creamy. Add tomatoes and the rest of the olive oil and process to your desired texture.
- Serve this over a pasta of your choice with grated cheese.
Try this with the Taft Street 2011 Old Vine Alexander Valley Zinfandel. Perfect for those cool summer nights!